Kids & Parents Calendar Listings
For the Week beginning April 28
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
FRIDAY, APRIL 29:
- “Let’s Play! Puppets & More” at Vose Library in Union, 10:30-11:30 a.m. Ashwood Waldorf School teacher Beth Lunt tells kids ages 2-6 the story of “The Brave Little Rabbit.” $5 suggested.
SATURDAY, APRIL 30:
- Rockland Harbor YMCA to Hold Healthy Kids Day 2016, 9 a.m.-noon, Rockland Community Center. Free games, crafts, bicycle safety course, bounce house, more. FMI: 593-8500, PenBayYMCA.org.
- Open House at Children’s House Montessori School, 10 a.m.-noon. The school will add grades 4-6 in the fall. FMI: CamdenMontessori.org, 236-2911.
- “The Velveteen Rabbit” Free Play and Workshop, 2 p.m., Belfast Library. Players from Theater at Monmouth put on the free performance, then lead a free workshop for kids 5+ to help them write their own plays.
- Deadline to Apply for Belfast Maskers Internship, for high school and college students. Send letter of interest, resume, headshot, letter from current director or instructor: Belfast Maskers, P.O. Box 541, Belfast ME 04915; or info@BelfastMaskers.com.
SUNDAY, MAY 1:
- Open House at The Riley School, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., 73 Warrenton Road, Rockport. Tour the campus, including the pottery, photo and art studios. Reps from ReVision Energy will be on hand to explain the school’s new solar array.
- Chewonki Summer Programs Open House, 1-3 p.m., 485 Chewonki Neck Road, Wiscasset. Meet leadership teams of Adventures for Girls, Camp for Boys, Wilderness Trips for Teens. Dress for the outdoors. RSVP: email@example.com, 882-7323, ext. 104.
- Deadline to Apply for Arthur Russell Strings Festival, for chamber musicians in grades 6-12. Program runs Tues.-Sat., July 5-9, at Pemetic School in Southwest Harbor. FMI: EllsworthCommunityMusic.org, 664-9258.
MONDAY, MAY 2:
- Golf Lessons for Kids in Grades 1-6, Mondays, May 2-June 20, with transport from Central Lincoln County YMCA in Damariscotta to Wawenock Golf Club. Bus leaves at 3:10 p.m. and returns at 5 p.m. $30 Y members/$40 non-members. Registration: clcymca.org, 563-9622.
TUESDAY, MAY 3:
- Free Children’s Drawing Class, 4-5 p.m., Rockland Library, 80 Union St., Catinka Knoth leads Let’s Draw Together! for kids 6 & up (under 11 with adult). Materials provided. This week’s theme: Mother’s Day Cards & May Baskets.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 4:
- “School Emergencies: Are We Ready?” Community Forum, 4-5 p.m., Camden Hills Regional High School Lecture Hall. Knox County Emergency Mgt. Agency Director Ray Sisk moderates a panel of emergency services reps. School leaders, staff, parents encouraged to attend with questions.
THURSDAY, MAY 5:
- Free “Cloth Diapering 101” Class, 10 a.m., Clean Bee Laundry in Renys Plaza, Camden. Learn how to incorporate them into the family routine. Babies and kids welcome. Registration appreciated: 236-2530, info@CleanBeeLaundry.com.
- “First French Friday: A Story Time in English and French,” Fri., May 6, 10 a.m., Belfast Library’s Abbott Room. Rita Swidrowski leads kids 2-4, siblings & parents.
- Free Family Music Program at Lincolnville Library, Fri., May 6, 11 a.m. Jessica Day of Midcoast Music Together leads families with kids from newborn to age 5 in singing, moving and exploring musical instruments. FMI: 763-4343, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bird Walk for Families, Sat., May 7, 7-8:30 p.m., Great Salt Bay Farm, 110 Belvedere Rd., Damariscotta. Geared to kids of all ages. $5 per family/free for Damariscotta River Assoc. members. Registration: 563-1393.
- Mexican Cooking and Spanish Conversation for Teens, Saturdays, May 7 & 14, 10 a.m.-noon, Penobscot Language School, 28 Gay St., Rockland. Led by a native speaker. $30 for one/$55 for both. FMI: Penobscot.us.
- Free Bookbinding Workshop for Kids, Thurs., May 12, 4-5:30 p.m., Rockland Library. Cindy McGuirl leads it. Suitable for all ages.
- “Beethoven Loves Nature,” Portland Symphony Orchestra Discovery Concert, Merrill Auditorium, Portland, on Sun., May 15. Come between 1-1:30 p.m. for pre-concert instrument petting zoo and learn-to-conduct workshops. Music starts 2:30 p.m. $10 tix: PortTix.com, 842-0800.
- May 29 Deadline to Apply for Camp Knickerbocker Scholarship, for kids from Central Lincoln County and Boothbay Region YMCAs. Adventure Camp, Sailing Camp, Dance Camp, more. Payment plans available. FMI: clcYMCA.org, BoothbayRegionYMCA.org.
- May 31 Deadline to Apply for Belfast Garden Club Scholarship, two $1,000 awards for Waldo County high school seniors, college undergrads studying horticulture, other “green” fields. FMI: BelfastGardenClub@gmail.com.
- Breast-Feeding Basics, 6:30-8:30 p.m. first Thursdays, Pen Bay Physicians Bldg., Conf. Room C, Rockport. $17 for mom & partner. Registration: 921-8345.
- Appleton Library Story Time, Thursdays, 10:15-11 a.m. With stories, crafts for preschoolers. FMI: 785-5656 or AppletonLibraryME.org.
- Belfast Library, 106 High St.: Story Time Tuesdays, 10-10:30 a.m., for babies to 2-year-olds and their siblings. Story Time Fridays, 10-11 a.m., for kids 2-4 and their siblings.
- Camden Library Story Hours, all at 10 a.m. Mondays: preschoolers. Wednesdays: babies to 2-year-olds (siblings welcome). Thursdays: 4- and 5-year-olds. Fridays: 2- and 3-year-olds. Saturdays: preschool to early-elementary-age kids.
- Carver Memorial Library Preschool Story Hour, Searsport, Fridays, 10:30 a.m. Stories, songs, movement, activities. FMI: 548-2303.
- Gibbs Library Story Hour, Washington, Tuesdays, 10 a.m. (flexible, depends on when kids drop in). FMI: 845-2663.
- Liberty Library Story Time, Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. Story time with songs, games, crafts & snack for kids 3-5. Younger & older kids welcome if not disruptive.
- Rockland Library Baby Storytime, Fridays, 10 a.m.
- Rockport Library Preschool Story Time, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. Babies to 5-year-olds can enjoy stories, finger plays, songs and a craft. Free. FMI: 236-3642.
- Skidompha Library, Damariscotta: Toddler Time, Tuesdays, 10 a.m. Stories, songs, movement for ages 2-5. Book Babies, Wednesdays, 10 a.m. Stories, songs, movement for newborns to 3-year-olds. Ready to Read, Thursdays, 10 a.m. Story hour, crafts for emerging readers 4-6.
- Stockton Springs Library, 6 Station St.: Story Hour, first Saturdays through April, 10-11 a.m. Lego Programs, third Thursdays to April 21, 4-5:30 p.m. Focus age group is 4-10, but all ages welcome. FMI: 567-4147.
- Thomaston Library, 60 Main St. Toddler Time, Wednesdays, 11 a.m. Rhyming games, puppets, board books. Family Story Hour, Thursdays, 11 a.m. Stories, crafts, snacks.
- Vose Library Story Time, Union, Fridays, 10:30 a.m. Singing, clapping for babies & toddlers. Stories, crafts for older kids. FMI: 785-4733.
- Waldoboro Library: Storytime, Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m. Stories and crafts for preschoolers.
- Warren Library: Craft Club Story Time, Mondays, 6-7 p.m. Lego Club, second and fourth Thursdays, 3:30-5 p.m. Adult Coloring, Wednesdays, 1-2 p.m.