Children, Teens, Parents Calendar Listings
For the Week beginning February 4
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 4:
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 5:
- “In Their Shoes: Teens and Dating Violence,” 5:30-7:30 p.m., Camden Library. New Hope for Women hosts the teen event. With pizza. RSVP: LCouture@NewHopeForWomen.org.
- Breastfeeding Basics, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Pen Bay Physicians Bldg., Conf. Room D, 6 Glen Cove Dr., Rockport. $17 for mom and partner. Registration: 921-8345.
- Free 3-Part Mental Health Series, offered by RSU 13 school counselors at Rockland Middle School’s library, 3:30-5:30 p.m. Thursdays, Feb. 4 (“Substance Abuse Trends and Prevention in Knox County”), Mar. 3 (“Creating Inclusive Classrooms for LGBTQ Students”), Apr. 7 (“Managing Your Wellness: Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction”). Public welcome.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 6:
- Free Children’s Music Program at Lincolnville Library, 11 a.m., 208 Main St. Jessica Day leads families with newborns to 5-year-olds in singing, moving, shaking, exploring musical instruments. It’s offered again March 4, April 1, May 6.
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 7:
- “Take Your Children to the Library Day” in Stockton Springs, 10-11 a.m. Guest Tom Lane reads “Winnie & Willie Won’t Give Up” by Cherie Rechka. With an activity, snacks. At Rockland Library, starting at 10:30 a.m., there’s a Fun Zone with crafts, Legos, games and puzzles, a Reading Zone, a Scavenger Hunt, and snacks served in the Children’s Room.
- Childbirth Preparation Class, 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Waldo County General Hospital, 118 Northport Ave., Belfast. Registration required: 338-9348.
- Furry Visitors at Coastal Children’s Museum, 11 a.m.-noon. P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center reps bring adoptable pets to the museum at 75 Mechanic St., Rockland. Free with admission.
- “Fairies in the Snow” Tea Party, 1 p.m., Camden Library. Led by author Liza Gardner Walsh and illustrator Hazel Mitchell with attire, reading, crafts and activities. Refreshments.
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 8:
- “Once Upon a Time” Discovery Concert for Families, 2:30 p.m., Merrill Auditorium. Portland Symphony Orchestra & Portland Ballet CORPS of high school dancers perform. $10 tix: PortTIX.com, 842-0800.
- Baseball/Softball Clinic for Boys and Girls 8-14 in Damariscotta, Sundays, Feb. 7-28, 9 a.m.-noon, Central Lincoln County YMCA. Coach Bob Pisco teaches the fundamentals. $65/$40 members. FMI: clcymca.org, 563-9622.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 9:
- Deadline for Youth Wilderness Leadership Program, App. deadline for students currently enrolled as a sophomore or junior in a Maine high school. Program includes nine-day wilderness experience at Baxter State Park. FMI: www.friendsofbaxter.org.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 10:
- Free Children’s Drawing Class, 4-5 p.m., Rockland Library, 80 Union St., led by Catinka Knoth. materials provided. Let’s Draw Together! for kids 6 & up (under 11 with adult). This week’s theme: Valentine’s Day Cards and Papercuts.
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 11:
- New Toddler Time at Thomaston Library, Wednesdays at 11 a.m. Rhyming games, puppet play, baby board books. Free; open to everyone with toddlers.
- Program for Parents of Children Ready for First Grade and Reading, 5 p.m., Ashwood Waldorf School, 180 Park St., Rockport. Teachers give an overview of first grade and tell how the school teaches reading in grades 1-5.
- “Let’s Play! Puppets & More” Playtime for Kids 2-6, 10-11 a.m., Ashwood Waldorf School, Rockport. Teacher Beth Lunt tells the story of “Old Gnome in the Winter” in this installment of the series. $5 suggested. FMI: 236-8021.
- Frost Fest in Bucksport, Sat., Feb. 13, Bucksport Outdoor Ice Skating Rink, Miles Ln. Skating party with music from Ray J’z Muzik kicks it off at 11 a.m. With snow sculpture competition & miniature golf course made of snow (rent a putter & ball for $5/free under age 5). 3 p.m. wrap-up with prize for best snow sculpture. FMI: 469-6818, office@Bunomastodontidae.com.
- “Wildlife in Winter” Vacation Day Camp, Damariscotta, Kids 5-11, Dam-ariscotta River Assoc.’s Great Salt Bay Farm, 110 Belvedere Rd., Mon.-Thurs., Feb. 15-18, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. $176 NM /$156 M, Mussel level. Scholarships available. Register by Feb. 9: DamariscottaRiver.org, 563-1393.
- Free Vacation Week Activities at Owls Head Transportation Museum, for kids 6-14. Activities, with all materials supplied, start at 10 a.m. each day. Mon., Feb. 15: Paper Airplane Workshop. Tues., Feb. 16: Air-Powered Cars. Weds., Feb. 17: Stick-and-Tissue Airplanes. Thurs., Feb. 18: Electric Cars. Fri., Feb. 19: Hot Air Balloons. Registration encouraged: 594-4418.
- 3-Day Snowshoe Adventure for Kids 5-10, Tues.-Thurs., Feb. 16-18, 9:30 a.m.-noon. The first day will be at Central Lincoln County YMCA in Damariscotta. The rest will be at Hidden Valley Nature Center in Jefferson (transport provided from Y). Snowshoes available. Registration: 563-9622, JClark@clcYMCA.org.
- February Vacation Camp in Lincoln-ville for Kids 5-12, Tanglewood 4-H Camp and Learning Center, Tues.-Fri., Feb. 16-19, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. $155. Register by Feb. 5: umaine.edu/tanglewood. FMI: 789-5868, Patricia.Chapman@maine.edu.
- “Shakespeare Is My Hero,” Weds., Feb. 17, 11 a.m., Strand Theatre, Rockland. Free 45-minute, interactive program for ages 4-11 put on by Barn Arts Collective of Bass Harbor with music, dancing and disguises. The same day at the Strand at 2 p.m., the visiting actors put on a free “Shakespeare and Stage Combat” Workshop for Ages 12-18. Kids must register for the workshop: 594-0070, info@RocklandStrand.com.
- Free Lego Program at Stockton Springs Library, Thurs., Feb. 18, 4-5:30 p.m. Geared for 4-10, but all ages welcome. No need to sign up. Third Thursdays monthly through April 21.
- Soccer Jamboree for Boys & Girls, Fri., Feb. 19, 9:30-11:30 a.m., The Pitch, Warren. For U9-U11 boys & girls. $15 per person/$125 per team. Register by Feb. 12. FMI: DPitcairn@MainePitch.com, AHeidorn@MainePitch.com, 322-1182, 273-0042.
- Maine Summer Youth Music Camp Registration Open, for various July sessions for kids in grades 5-12. FMI: UMaine.edu.
- Breast-Feeding Basics, 6:30-8:30 p.m. first Thursdays, Pen Bay Physicians Bldg., Conf. Room C, Rockport. $17 for mom & partner. Registration: 921-8345.
- Appleton Library Story Time, Thursdays, 10:15-11 a.m. With stories, crafts for preschoolers. FMI: 785-5656 or AppletonLibraryME.org.
- Belfast Free Library, 106 High St.: • Story Time Tuesdays, 10-10:30 a.m., for babies to 2-year-olds and their siblings. • Story Time Fridays, 10-11 a.m., for kids 2-4 and their siblings.
- Camden Library Story Hours, all at 10 a.m. Mondays: preschoolers. Wednesdays: babies to 2-year-olds (siblings welcome). Thursdays: 4- and 5-year-olds. Fridays: 2- and 3-year-olds. Saturdays: preschool to early-elementary-age kids.
- Carver Memorial Library Preschool Story Hour, Searsport, Fridays, 10:30 a.m. Stories, songs, movement, activities. FMI: 548-2303.
- Gibbs Library Story Hour, Washington, Tuesdays, 10 a.m. (flexible, depends on when kids drop in). FMI: 845-2663.
- Liberty Library Story Time, Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. Story time with songs, games, crafts & snack for kids 3-5. Younger & older kids welcome if not disruptive.
- Rockland Library Baby Storytime, Fridays, 10 a.m.
- Rockport Library Preschool Story Time, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. Babies to 5-year-olds can enjoy stories, finger plays, songs and a craft. Free. FMI: 236-3642.
- Skidompha Library, Damariscotta: • Toddler Time, Tuesdays, 10 a.m. Stories, songs and movement for kids 2-5. • Book Babies, Wednesdays, 10 a.m. Stories, songs and movement for newborns to 3-year-olds. • Ready to Read, Thursdays, 10 a.m. Story hour and crafts for emerging readers ages 4-6.
- Stockton Springs Library, 6 Station St.: • Story Hour, first Saturdays through April, 10-11 a.m. • Lego Programs, third Thursdays to April 21, 4-5:30 p.m. Focus age group is 4-10, but all ages welcome. FMI: 567-4147.
- Thomaston Library, 60 Main St. • Toddler Time, Wednesdays, 11 a.m. Rhyming games, puppets, board books. • Family Story Hour, Thursdays, 11 a.m. Stories, crafts, snacks.
- Vose Library Story Time, Union, Fridays, 10:30 a.m. Singing, clapping for babies & toddlers. Stories, crafts for older kids. FMI: 785-4733.
- Waldoboro Library: • Storytime, Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m. Stories and crafts for preschoolers. • Midcoast Music Together, 10:30 a.m. Mon., Jan. 25, Feb. 22. Jess Day leads singing, instrument play and movement for kids up to 6.
- Warren Library: • Craft Club Story Time, Mondays, 6-7 p.m. • Lego Club, second and fourth Thursdays, 3:30-5 p.m.