Kids & Parents Calendar Listings
For the Week beginning May 19
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
THURSDAY, MAY 19:
- Tractor Building at Rockland Library, 4 p.m. Craftsman Peter Proeller teaches kids 7+ how to build a wooden model. Parents must sign a release to let kids use hammer and nails. All materials provided. Free. FMI: 594-0310.
SATURDAY, MAY 21:
- Annual Youth Spring Fishing Day, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Waldoboro Quarry, Depot Street. For families with kids under 16. Free supplies & food. Bring bug spray and sunscreen. FMI: 380-2428, email@example.com.
- Free Screenings for Kids by Shriners Hospitals for Children, 9 a.m.-noon, Penquis Child Development, Rockland. For kids up to 18 needing care for orthopaedic conditions, burn or spinal cord injuries, or cleft lip and palate. No appointment needed. FMI: 763-3884.
- Animals Looking for Homes to Visit Coastal Children’s Museum, 10 a.m.-noon, 75 Mechanic St., Rockland. Kids will also learn about pet care and the role Pope Memorial Humane Society plays in Knox County. Free with admission. FMI: CoastalChildrensMuseum.org.
- Child Farm Day, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m., 3 Streams Farm, 209 Back Belmont Rd., Belfast. Scratch a piglet’s belly. Learn how to milk a goat. See a hen whose chicks may be hatching that day. Admission by sliding fee/barter. Registration: 338-3301.
- First Tee of Maine in Rockland, 3-4:30 p.m. Golf program for kids 7 and up. Sessions at Rockland Golf Club: Sat., May 21, June 4, 11, 18 and Weds., June 22 & 29. Register or volunteer: 594-9322, 704-280-7595. FMI: TheFirstTeeMaine.org.
SUNDAY, MAY 22:
- Moonlight Owl Prowl for Families, 8 p.m., Merryspring Nature Center, Camden. Led by raptor enthusiast Shelley Spans-wick, Riley School’s Todd Martin, Merryspring’s Brett Willard. All ages welcome. Be ready to walk on rugged terrain for up to an hour. Bring flashlight if you choose. Free; donations for raptor rehab programs taken. Sign-up: 236-2239, firstname.lastname@example.org.
TUESDAY, MAY 24:
- Free Children’s Drawing Class, 4-5 p.m., Rockland Library, 80 Union St., Catinka Knoth leads Let’s Draw Together! for kids 6 & up (under 11 with adult). Materials provided. This week’s theme: Memorial Day.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 25:
- “Cow Stories” Children’s Writing Workshop, 2-4:30 p.m., Aldermere Farm, Rockport. Kids 7+ are invited to join author Liza Gardner Walsh for the poetry, writing, sketching class. $25; scholarships available. FMI: 706-6325, email@example.com.
- “How Do Colleges Really Choose Students?,” 6:30 p.m., Rockport Library. High school kids and parents are invited to get the inside scoop from expert Wendy Thompson.
- Author Event with Liza Gardner Walsh of “Fairy Houses All Year,” Sat., May 28, 10 a.m.-noon, The Owl & Turtle Bookshop, 33 Bayview St., Camden.
- Successful Breastfeeding Class, Sat., May 28, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Waldo County General Hospital’s Classroom, Belfast. Registration: 338-9348.
- May 31 Deadline to Apply for Belfast Garden Club Scholarship, two $1,000 awards for Waldo County high school seniors, college undergrads studying horticulture, other “green” fields. FMI: BelfastGardenClub@gmail.com.
- Standup Paddle-Boarding and Canoeing for Kids 10-14, Midcoast Conservancy and Maine Winter Sports Center hold it on Damariscotta Lake from Tues.-Thurs., June 21-23, 8 a.m.-noon. Equipment provided. Scholarships available. FMI: skireg.com/mwsc-paddling, lauren@maineWSC.org.
- MIDCOAST DAY CAMPS: Camp Knickerbocker, one-week and two-week sessions June 20-Aug. 26, for kids from Central Lincoln County and Boothbay Region YMCAs. Sailing, art, dance, more. Payment plans. Apply for scholarships by May 29. FMI: BoothbayRegionYMCA.org, clcYMCA.org. 1-Week ArtLab Sessions in Rockland, for kids 6-11, Center for Maine Contemporary Art’s new space, 21 Winter St. Sessions run 9 a.m.-noon Mon.-Fri.: July 11-15, July 18-22, July 25-29. FMI: 701-5005, firstname.lastname@example.org. 1-Week Art Sessions in Belfast, for kids 8-12, Waterfall Arts. Sessions run 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Mon.-Fri.: July 11-15, July 18-22. FMI: WaterfallArts.org. 2-Week Musical Theater Camp in Belfast, for kids 8-14, Troy Howard Middle School, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Mon.-Fri., July 11-22. $150. Scholarships available. Register by July 1: MidcoastActors@gmail.com, 370-7592. 2-Week Rockport Boat Club Sailing Sessions, for kids 8-18. Schedule/registration: RockportBoatClub.org. FMI: YouthSail@rockportBoatclub.org. 2-Week St. George Sailing Sessions, for kids 9+, 4-H Camp at Blueberry Cove. Half-day sessions (beginners sail mornings, advanced sail afternoons), start July 11, July 25, Aug. 8. FMI: 372-8174, StGeorgeSail.org. Maine Summer Youth Music Camp, July sessions for kids in grades 5-12. FMI: UMaine.edu.
- Breast-Feeding Basics, 6:30-8:30 p.m. first Thursdays, Pen Bay Physicians Bldg., Conf. Room C, Rockport. $17 for mom & partner. Registration: 921-8345.
- Appleton Library Story Time, Thursdays, 10:15-11 a.m. With stories, crafts for preschoolers. FMI: 785-5656 or AppletonLibraryME.org.
- Belfast Library, 106 High St.: Story Time Tuesdays, 10-10:30 a.m., for babies to 2-year-olds and their siblings. Story Time Fridays, 10-11 a.m., for kids 2-4 and their siblings.
- Camden Library Story Hours, all at 10 a.m. Mondays: preschoolers. Wednesdays: babies to 2-year-olds (siblings welcome). Thursdays: 4- and 5-year-olds. Fridays: 2- and 3-year-olds. Saturdays: preschool to early-elementary-age kids.
- Carver Memorial Library Preschool Story Hour, Searsport, Fridays, 10:30 a.m. Stories, songs, movement, activities. FMI: 548-2303.
- Gibbs Library Story Hour, Washington, Tuesdays, 10 a.m. (flexible, depends on when kids drop in). FMI: 845-2663.
- Liberty Library Story Time, Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. Story time with songs, games, crafts & snack for kids 3-5. Younger & older kids welcome if not disruptive.
- Rockland Library Baby Storytime, Fridays, 10 a.m.
- Rockport Library Preschool Story Time, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. Babies to 5-year-olds can enjoy stories, finger plays, songs and a craft. Free. FMI: 236-3642.
- Skidompha Library, Damariscotta: Toddler Time, Tuesdays, 10 a.m. Stories, songs, movement for ages 2-5. Book Babies, Wednesdays, 10 a.m. Stories, songs, movement for newborns to 3-year-olds. Ready to Read, Thursdays, 10 a.m. Story hour, crafts for emerging readers 4-6.
- Thomaston Library, 60 Main St. Toddler Time, Wednesdays, 11 a.m. Rhyming games, puppets, board books. Family Story Hour, Thursdays, 11 a.m. Stories, crafts, snacks.
- Vose Library Story Time, Union, Fridays, 10:30 a.m. Singing, clapping for babies & toddlers. Stories, crafts for older kids. FMI: 785-4733.
- Waldoboro Library: Storytime, Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m. Stories and crafts for preschoolers.
- Warren Library: Craft Club Story Time, Mondays, 6-7 p.m. Lego Club, second and fourth Thursdays, 3:30-5 p.m. Adult Coloring, Wednesdays, 1-2 p.m.