Children, Teens, Parents Calendar Listings
For the Week beginning October 1
THURSDAY, OCT. 1:
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to email@example.com or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
• “Breast-Feeding Basics” Class, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Pen Bay Physicians Bldg, Conf. Room C, 4 Glen Cove Dr., Rockport. $17 for mother & partner. Registration required: 921-8345.
FRIDAY, OCT. 2:
• Craft Classes for Kids Ages 2-6, 10:30-11:30 a.m. Fridays through Nov. 20, Farnsworth Art Museum, Rockland. Kids must be with an adult. $5 donation requested for materials. FMI: 236-8021, AshwoodWaldorf.org.
• Free JAMMM for Babies & Parents, Fridays, Oct. 2, 16, 23 & 30, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Rockland Library. “Baby Play with Jess Day: Art, Music, Movement, Mindfulness” classes for babies up to 1 year and parents. FMI: 594-0310.
SATURDAY, OCT. 3:
• Childbirth Preparation Class, 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Waldo County General Hospital, 118 Northport Ave., Belfast. Registration required: 338-9348.
• “Tearing Paper; Making Art” Class, 1-2 p.m., The Project Puffin Visitor Center, 311 Main St., Rockland. Kids 6-12 will create collages. Limited space. Save a seat: 596-5566.
MONDAY, OCT. 5:
• “Successful Breast-Feeding” Class, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Waldo County General Hospital, 118 Northport Ave., Belfast. Registration required: 338-9348.
• Meet the Author & Illustrator of “An Island for Sam,” noon-2 p.m., The Highlands Coffee House, Thomaston. Sandra Mason Dickson is on hand to sign her book about a pony on Monhegan.
TUESDAY, OCT. 6:
• Free Children’s Drawing Class, 4-5 p.m., Rockland Library, 80 Union St. Catinka Knoth provides materials and leads Let’s Draw Together! for kids 6 and up (under 11 with adult). This week’s theme: Autumn leaves and trees.
• Mother’s Milk Support Group, Tuesdays, Oct. 6-27, 12:30-2 p.m., Pen Bay Med Center Chapel Room, 6 Glen Cove Dr., Rockport. Facilitated by lactation consultant. Free. FMI: 921-8345.
WEDNESDAY, OCT. 7:
• Sibling Program, 9:30-11 a.m., Pen Bay Med Center Birth Center, 6 Glen Cove Dr., Rockport. Kids will learn about newborns and discuss their role as a big brother or sister. Free. Registration required: 921-8345.
• Annual Pizza Harvest Party, 4-6 p.m., Coastal Children’s Museum, Rockland. Free, public party to celebrate successful season of Museum’s Pizza Growers Garden. Uproot Pie Co. w/ its traveling oven makes organic pies with garden & Co-op veggies. With a sing-and-dance-along, pumpkin painting, face painting. FMI: 596-0300, CoastalChildrensMuseum.org.
THURSDAY, OCT. 8:
• Free “Boys’ Night Out” Program, 6 p.m. Thursdays, Oct. 8, 15 & 22, Pen Bay YMCA, Rockport. Knox County and Lincolnville boys in grades 3, 4 or 5 and their dads, step-dads, uncles (or other male role models) invited to sessions featuring “getting to know you” activity, light meal, short discussion on making healthy choices, noncompetitive games. Participants encouraged to attend all three. You must register: 236-6313, ext. 2, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Liza Gardner Walsh Reads from Newest Children’s Book, Sat., Oct. 10, 10 a.m.-noon, Sherman’s Books and Stationery, 14 Main St., Camden. She also signs copies of “Where Do Fairies Go When It Snows?” FMI: 236-2223.
• StoryWalk Trail Opens in Liberty, Sat., Oct. 10, 10 a.m. Sheepscot Wellspring Land Alliance and RSU 3 host walk along one-mile trail, led by Audrey O’Clair, reading stories that have been posted on wooden signs made by Jim MacDonald. Meet at Haystack Mountain trailhead behind ballfield at Walker School, 33 West Main St. Rain cancels.
• “A Peek at Beaks!,” Sat., Oct. 10, 1-2 p.m., The Project Puffin Visitor Center, 311 Main St., Rockland. Kids 6-12 will learn all about bird beaks, then design their own. Limited space. Save a seat: 596-5566.
• Babes in the Woods at Schoolhouse Pond Preserve on Barter’s Island, Boothbay, Thurs., Oct. 15, 10-11 a.m. Easy stroll for babies, toddlers, older siblings, caregivers offered by Boothbay Region Land Trust. FMI: email@example.com, 633-4818.
• Appleton Library Story Time, Thursdays, 10:15-11 a.m. With stories and a simple craft. FMI: 785-5656 or AppletonLibraryME.org.
• Barefoot Books Storytime, first Tuesdays, 10 a.m., Highlands Coffee House, Thomaston. Join Dena Davis for stories, songs and fun with puppets. All ages. FMI: 691-9621.
• Belfast Free Library, 106 High St.: • Story Time Tuesdays, 10-10:30 a.m., for babies to 2-year-olds and their siblings. • Story Time Fridays, 10-11 a.m., for kids 2-4 and their siblings.
• Camden Library Story Hours, all at 10 a.m. Mondays: preschoolers. Wednesdays: babies to 2-year-olds (older siblings welcome). Thursdays: 4- and 5-year-olds. Fridays: 2- and 3-year-olds. Saturdays: preschool to early-elementary-age kids.
• Carver Memorial Library, Searsport: • Preschool Story Hour, Mondays, 10:30 a.m. Stories, games and singing for toddlers and their siblings. • The Very Ready Reading Story Hour, first and third Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m. For very young learners, FMI: 548-2303.
• Liberty Library Story Time, Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. Mixed-age story time with songs, games, crafts and a snack.
• Rockland Library, 80 Union St.: • Storytime and Crafts for All Ages, Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m. • Baby Storytime, Fridays, 10 a.m.
• Rockport Library Preschool Story Time, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. Babies to 5-year-olds can enjoy stories, finger plays, songs and a craft. Free. FMI: 236-3642.
• Skidompha Library, Damariscotta: • Toddler Time, Tuesdays, 10 a.m. Stories, songs and movement for kids 2-5. • Book Babies, Wednesdays, 10 a.m. Stories, songs and movement for newborns to 3-year-olds. • Ready to Read, Thursdays, 10 a.m. Story hour and crafts for emerging readers ages 4-6.
• Stockton Springs Library Story Hour, first & third Saturdays, 10-11 a.m. FMI: StocktonSpringsLibrary.org.
• Thomaston Library, 60 Main St.: • Read-Aloud Program, Wednesdays, 3 p.m. For kids 8-12 and their families. Listen and draw storyboards. • Story Time, Thursdays, 11 a.m.-noon. Kids must be with an older family member.
• Vose Library Story Time, Union, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. Stories and activities. FMI: 785-4733.
• Waldoboro Library: • Book Nook, Mondays, 3:30 p.m. Chapter books read aloud for kids 8-12 and their families. • Story Hour, Wednesdays, 10:15 a.m. Miss Connie reads stories and leads crafts for preschoolers. • Midcoast Music Together, third Monday, 10:30 a.m. Jess Day leads singing, instrument play and movement for kids up to 6.
• Warren Library: • Story Time, Fridays, 10 a.m. Stories, activities and crafts for preschoolers. FMI: 273-2900.