Children, Teens, Parents Calendar Listings
For the Week beginning August 27
SATURDAY, AUGUST 29:
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to email@example.com or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
• Kids Fun Day and Community Barbecue, Rockland Crossroads Church of the Nazarene, 50 Camden St. (across from Burger King). 9 a.m. puppet skit, crafts, face painting, games. Barbecue at noon. All welcome. FMI: 701-8338.
• Kids’ Day at Union Fair, with free bike raffles, kids’ tractor pull and cooking contest, and performances by Rick Charette at 1 and 4 p.m. Admission is $10 for everyone, and includes midway rides.
MONDAY, AUGUST 31:
• St. George School’s Opening Day Celebration, 8-9 a.m. coffee hour and 9-9:30 a.m. Community Meeting to welcome students and staff. Public welcome.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1:
• Free Children’s Drawing Class, 4-5 p.m., Rockland Library, 80 Union St. Catinka Knoth provides materials and leads Let’s Draw Together! for kids 6 and up (under 11 with adult). This week: butterflies & monarch butterfly migration.
• Coastal Children’s Museum in Rockland Closed Sept. 1-8, for its annual September spruce-up. To help out: 596-0300, info@CoastalChildrensMuseum.org.
• Toddler Program at Riley School, starts Sept. 1, with full-time and part-time plans, hourly rates for drop-ins, early drop-off and late pickup. FMI: 596-6405, RileySchool.org.
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 3:
• Rockland Farmers’ Market Kids’ Club, kids 5-16 can sign up 10 a.m.-noon any Thursday through Sept. 10 at the Harbor Park market. Weekly activities, new foods to try, shopping tokens.
• Book Signing in Camden, Sat., Sept. 5, 10 a.m.-noon, The Owl and Turtle Bookshop, 33 Bayview St. Illustrator Chris Van Dusen signs his collaboration with Kate DiCamillo, “Francine Poulet Meets the Ghost Raccoon.”
• Kids’ Musical Theater Workshops, 1-4 p.m. Sundays starting Sept. 13, Ordinary Rabbits Studio, 359 Old County Rd., Rockland. They culminate in an early December performance. FMI: 594-2817, OrdinaryRabbits.com.
• Free Program on Calf Handling, 3:30-5 p.m. on six Mondays starting Sept. 21, Aldermere Farm, Rockport. For ages 10-18. Register by Sept. 11: 236-2739.
• Damariscotta River Association Fall-Winter Programs, DRA Great Salt Bay Farm Heritage Center, 110 Belvedere Rd., Damariscotta. Schedule for after-school program and programs for homeschooled kids and preschoolers now online: DamariscottaRiver.org. FMI: 563-1393.
• Appleton Library Story Time, Thursdays, 10:15-11 a.m. With stories and a simple craft. FMI: 785-5656 or AppletonLibraryME.org.
• Barefoot Books Storytime, first Tuesdays, 10 a.m., Highlands Coffee House, Thomaston. Join Dena Davis for stories, songs and fun with puppets. All ages. FMI: 691-9621.
• Belfast Free Library, 106 High St.: • Story Time Tuesdays, 10-10:30 a.m., for babies to 2-year-olds and their siblings. • Story Time Fridays, 10-11 a.m., for kids 2-4 and their siblings.
• Camden Library Story Hours, all at 10 a.m. Mondays: preschoolers. Wednesdays: babies to 2-year-olds (older siblings welcome). Thursdays: 4- and 5-year-olds. Fridays: 2- and 3-year-olds. Saturdays: preschool to early-elementary-age kids.
• Carver Memorial Library, Searsport: • Preschool Story Hour, Mondays, 10:30 a.m. Stories, games and singing for toddlers and their siblings. • The Very Ready Reading Story Hour, first and third Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m. For very young learners, FMI: 548-2303.
• Liberty Library Story Time, Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. Mixed-age story time with songs, games, crafts and a snack.
• Rockland Library, 80 Union St.: • Storytime and Crafts for All Ages, Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m. • Baby Storytime, Fridays, 10 a.m.
• Rockport Library Preschool Story Time, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. Babies to 5-year-olds can enjoy stories, finger plays, songs and a craft. Free. FMI: 236-3642.
• Skidompha Library, Damariscotta: • Toddler Time, Tuesdays, 10 a.m. Stories, songs and movement for kids 2-5. • Book Babies, Wednesdays, 10 a.m. Stories, songs and movement for newborns to 3-year-olds. • Ready to Read, Thursdays, 10 a.m. Story hour and crafts for kids 4-5.
• Stockton Springs Library Story Hour, first & third Saturdays, 10-11 a.m. FMI: StocktonSpringsLibrary.org.
• Thomaston Library, 60 Main St.: • Read-Aloud Program, Wednesdays, 3 p.m. For kids 8-12 and their families. Listen and draw storyboards. • Story Time, Thursdays, 11 a.m.-noon. Kids must be with an older family member.
• Vose Library Story Time, Union, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. Stories and activities. FMI: 785-4733.
• Waldoboro Library: • Book Nook, Mondays, 3:30 p.m. Chapter books read aloud for kids 8-12 and their families. • Story Hour, Wednesdays, 10:15 a.m. Miss Connie reads stories and leads crafts for preschoolers. • Midcoast Music Together, third Monday, 10:30 a.m. Jess Day leads singing, instrument play and movement for kids up to 6.
• Warren Library: • Story Time, Fridays, 10 a.m. Stories, activities and crafts for preschoolers. FMI: 273-2900.