Children, Teens, Parents Calendar Listings
For the Week beginning November 26
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 28:
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
• 10th Annual Share the Wonder Celebration, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Farnsworth Art Museum. Kids get a passport to be stamped at activity locations around campus, including ones that offer holiday cookie decorating and horse-drawn carriage rides. Free admission all day. FMI: FarnsworthMuseum.org.
• Children’s Yoga Workshop in Rockland, 11 a.m., Coastal Children’s Museum, 75 Mechanic St. Kids and parents will be led by Jessica Shepard. Included with admission.
• Santa Claus to Visit Damariscotta, arriving downtown at noon in a parade, with fire engine and police car escort. After the parade, Santa hears wish lists from kids at Lincoln Theater (bring your camera), and then “Polar Express” is screened free at around 12:30 p.m.
• Children’s Holiday Party & Tree Lighting, 3:30 p.m., Rockland Library. Decorate the tree, snack on homemade cookies from Friends of the Library, hear Peter Proeller play banjo. FMI: 594-0310.
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 1:
• Free Children’s Drawing Class, 4-5 p.m., Rockland Library, 80 Union St. Catinka Knoth provides materials and leads Let’s Draw Together! for kids 6 & up (under 11 with adult). This week: Let’s draw Chanukah & Christmas trees!
• Info Session on Coastal Studies for Girls, 7-8 p.m., Bowdoinham Public Library. Reps and alumnae describe the semester school for 10th-grade girls in Freeport. There’s still space for semester beginning Feb. 7, 2016. FMI: 865-9700.
• Mother’s Milk Support Group, Tuesdays, Dec. 1-29, 12:30-2 p.m., Pen Bay Medical Center Chapel Room, 6 Glen Cove Dr., Rockport. Informal group for breast-feeding families led by lactation consultant. Pregnant moms who want more info also welcome. Free. FMI: 921-8345.
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 2:
• Sibling Program, 3:30-5 p.m., Pen Bay Medical Center, Rockport. Kids will learn about newborns and how to interact with them. Free. Sign-up: 921-8345.
• Family-Length Performances of The Nutcracker, Camden Opera House. Atlantic Ballet Company performs Fri., Dec. 4, at 7:30 p.m., and Sat. & Sun., Dec. 5 & 6, at 3 p.m. Tix, $18 adults/$14 seniors and under 12, at Grasshopper Shop, Rockland; Townline Video, Warren; HAV II, Camden; Operahouse Video, Belfast; door.
• “Candy Cane Capers,” Sat., Dec. 5, 9-11 a.m., Belfast United Methodist Church, 23 Mill Ln. Kids 5-12 are invited to shop for gifts for immediate family members. FMI: 338-5575.
• 11th Annual Beltie Holiday, Sat., Dec. 5, 9 a.m.-noon, Aldermere Farm, 70 Russell Ave., Rockport. Families encouraged to don festive (or hideous) holiday sweaters and bring cameras for photo opps with a Beltie calf. Explore the farm, sip hot cocoa, decorate a Beltie ornament. Music by The Teacups. Baked goods from Aldermere Achievers 4-H Club. Free admission; bring nonperishables for Camden Area Christian Food Pantry. FMI: 236-2739.
• Final Ski Lease Fitting of the Season at Hidden Valley Nature Center, Sat., Dec. 5, 9 a.m.-noon, Jefferson. Kids 5-14 can get fitted for cross-country ski equipment that they’ll lease for the season. First come, first served.
• Children’s Book Authors Reading and Signing in Damariscotta, Sat., Dec. 5, 11 a.m., Maine Coast Book Shop, 158 Main St., Damariscotta. Jane Yolen, Heidie Stemple and illustrator Melissa Sweet will be there to sign “Sing a Season Song” and “You Nest Here with Me.”
• Santa’s Story Hour, Sat., Dec. 5. After he arrives by boat at Camden Harbor at noon, he heads to Camden Library to read aloud and pose for photos.
• Book Signing with Liza Gardner Walsh and Paige Pendleton in Camden, Sat., Dec. 5, 1 p.m., The Owl and Turtle Bookshop Café, 33 Bay View St. They sign “Where Do Fairies Go When It Snows?” and “Star of Wonder.” Illustrator Thomas Block will also be on hand.
• Ho Ho Holiday Book Fair, Sun., Dec. 6, 2-4 p.m., Camden Library. With several local authors & illustrators of children’s books.
• Appleton Library Story Time, Thursdays, 10:15-11 a.m. With stories and crafts for preschoolers. FMI: 785-5656 or AppletonLibraryME.org.
• Belfast Free Library, 106 High St.: • Story Time Tuesdays, 10-10:30 a.m., for babies to 2-year-olds and their siblings. • Story Time Fridays, 10-11 a.m., for kids 2-4 and their siblings.
• Camden Library Story Hours, all at 10 a.m. Mondays: preschoolers. Wednesdays: babies to 2-year-olds (siblings welcome). Thursdays: 4- and 5-year-olds. Fridays: 2- and 3-year-olds. Saturdays: preschool to early-elementary-age kids.
• Carver Memorial Library Preschool Story Hour, Searsport, Fridays, 10:30 a.m. Stories, songs, movement, activities. FMI: 548-2303.
• Liberty Library Story Time, Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. Story time with songs, games, crafts and a snack for kids 3-5. Younger and older kids welcome if they’re not disruptive.
• Rockland Library Baby Storytime, Fridays, 10 a.m.
• Rockport Library Preschool Story Time, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. Babies to 5-year-olds can enjoy stories, finger plays, songs and a craft. Free. FMI: 236-3642.
• Skidompha Library, Damariscotta: • Toddler Time, Tuesdays, 10 a.m. Stories, songs and movement for kids 2-5. • Book Babies, Wednesdays, 10 a.m. Stories, songs and movement for newborns to 3-year-olds. • Ready to Read, Thursdays, 10 a.m. Story hour and crafts for emerging readers ages 4-6.
• Stockton Springs Library, 6 Station St.: • Story Hour, first Saturdays through April, 10-11 a.m. • Lego Programs, third Thursdays, Nov. 19-April 21, 4-5:30 p.m. Focus age group is 4-10, but all ages welcome. FMI: 567-4147.
• Thomaston Library Story Time, Thursdays, 11 a.m.-noon. Young kids must be with an older family member.
• Vose Library Story Time, Union, Fridays, 10:30 a.m. Singing, clapping for babies & toddlers. Stories, crafts for older kids. FMI: 785-4733.
• Waldoboro Library: • Storytime, Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m. Stories and crafts for preschoolers. • Midcoast Music Together, 10:30 a.m. Mon., Nov. 30, Dec. 28, Jan. 25, Feb. 22. Jess Day leads singing, instrument play and movement for kids up to 6.
• Warren Library: • Craft Club Story Time, Mondays, 6-7 p.m. • Lego Club, second and fourth Thursdays, 3:30-5 p.m.
• Breast-feeding Basics, first Thursdays, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Pen Bay Physicians Bldg., Conf. Room C, Rockport. $17 for mom and partner. Registration: 921-8345.